Millions of fans around the world tune in to watch the English Premier League (EPL), many of whom also like to try their luck with English Premier League betting. If you’re new to the EPL scene and would like to learn how to bet on the Premier League, keep reading to learn everything a beginner needs to know!
What is the English Premier League?
English soccer had been in decline for many decades in the 20th century but began to experience a resurgence in the 1990s. However, many English teams felt that they were being short-changed by agreements under the then-dominant Football League, which had been founded in 1888 and was considered the best English football league at the time.
This dissatisfaction with the status quo led to the formation of the EPL, which was originally named the FA Premier League, in 1992. This new league saw the top 22 teams from the Football League break away, allowing the new league to sign their own licensing agreements with television broadcasters and increase the money available to the teams, thereby giving them a better chance to compete with foreign soccer clubs.
Today the EPL has become the world’s most-watched league.
The EPL has evolved over the years, and today there are 20 clubs that compete. The League uses a double round-robin system, with each team playing every other team, resulting in a total of 380 games. Teams will always get to play one of their two matches against their opposition at their own stadium, ensuring they have the home ground advantage in half of their games.
When it comes to scoring, a team will receive three points for a win, one point for a draw, and zero points for a loss. The final ranking, and the winner, is determined by the total points scored by each team. In the event of a tie, other metrics are used to decide the final rankings, the first being goal difference, and then goals scored. If a tie still exists, a play-off match takes place. This match is on neutral ground at a stadium that doesn’t belong to either club playing in the tie-breaker.
The Big Six – The powerhouse EPL teams
Not all teams are created equal in the EPL, and you can rest assured that some squads will be sure to dominate the scoreboard. In the last decade, there has been the emergence of what is more commonly known as “The Big Six”. These are the six teams that most regularly produce the best results, and are considered the most successful in the league overall. These teams are:
- Manchester City
- Manchester United
- Tottenham Hotspur
How to bet on the Premier League
Now that you know how the EPL works and what you can expect from some of the teams involved, it’s time to get onto the good stuff: the soccer bets!
The different types of soccer bets
Within these popular classes of wagers, you get different types of bets. Some of the most popular types include:
- 1X2 bet – This is a match outcome wager that has three options, which are referred to in the wager name. The one in the name refers to the home team winning, the X in the name refers to a draw, while the two in the name refers to the away team winning. You choose whether to back the home team, the away team, or whether the match will end in a draw. Different odds are available for the home team, away team, or a possible draw. There is also a halftime version of this wager where bets are paid out on halftime scores as opposed to the end-of-game scores.
- Double chance – This type of wager offers you a greater chance (hence the name double chance) of winning by covering a win or a draw for the home team, a win or a draw for the away team, or a win for both the home and away team (this third wager means you lose if there’s a draw).
- Draw no bet – In a draw no bet wager, players bet on the home or away team to win. However, in the event of a draw, it’s a “no bet” and stakes are returned in full.
- Handicap – In this wager, each team is given a handicap, depending on whether they are the stronger side or not, with the stronger team starting behind in goals, while the weaker team starts ahead. If you wager on the stronger team, they must win by more than their handicap value. If you wager on the weaker team, they must either win the game or lose by less than the handicap they were given. This makes for more interesting bets between two teams that are mismatched in terms of skill.
- Over/Under – An over/under works similarly in soccer as it does in other sports. The sportsbook sets an over value and an under value, and bettors wager on whether they think the score will be above the sportsbook setting, or below it. If it’s greater than the over value and you wagered on over, you win. If it’s less than the under value and you wagered on under, you win.
- Both teams to score – If both teams make it onto the scoreboard, you win the bet. If a team fails to score a goal, you lose your stake.
The different categories of EPL bets
Sportsbooks will not only offer different types of bets, these bets will differ from sport to sport and even from league to league. Here are some of the most popular wagers you can make when betting on the EPL:
- Individual matches – In this wager, you place a bet on which team will win, or whether it will be a draw.
- Title/League winner – Only one team can walk away with the title. In this wager, you place a bet on which team you think will end up in first place.
- Team to finish top four – In this wager, you place a bet on which teams will finish in the top four spots in the EPL.
- Team to finish top six – In this wager, you place a bet on which teams will finish in the top six ranks in the League.
- Relegation – In the EPL, the teams that finish in the bottom three spots are relegated to the EFL Championship. In this wager, you place a bet on which teams will be knocked out of the EPL.
- Top goal scorer – Some players perform incredibly well, even if they aren’t on the best teams in the League. This wager lets you bet on individual players and how many goals you think they will score in individual matches or even over the entire season.
Enjoy the best soccer bets and more at Borgata Online
If this beginner’s guide has covered everything you need to know and you’re ready to place a wager with great soccer odds, or you’re interested in trying to bet on other sports online, you can find great online sports betting at Borgata Online! Whether it’s soccer, football, basketball, or any other incredible sports, we offer an incredible variety of sports and sports bets for you to enjoy.
Register at Borgata Online to place your first wager!